This year on Wednesday nights in KidZone we have been working hard to learn the Books of the Bible. The goal behind this is to have a working knowledge of the way the Bible is laid out and BASIC themes in order to be able to better use it. We had just finished covering all the books and were ready to start putting that knowledge to work in our time together. If you would like to continue this in your home, we want to equip you with some ideas or resources you can easily use at home.
IDEAS FOR DISCIPLING AT HOME
- Before dinner, have your child turn to Psalms and have someone read a Psalm.
- If you do family devotions, have your child find the scripture reference in their Bible and read it from there.
- Open your Bible to the list of books. Begin reading the list. Stop and see if your child can fill in the next book. Begin with better-known ones (first 5, the Gospels, Psalms then Proverbs,…) and go from there.
- While worshiping together, help your child find the verses that are being discussed.
- Have a good old Sword Drill (Bible Drill) with books of the Bible. This video shows how it can be done with several kids, but the principle would be the same with one or two children.
- The Bible Project videos on YouTube give an overview of each book of the Bible and are both interesting and brief.
- This is a free printable bookmark that includes all the books of the Bible.
- Books of the bible coloring pages. It has one page per book.
There are a lot of great resources to help you as you navigate the next few weeks. Here are a few ways to help you catch a breath!
Best Bible and Bible Game Apps for preschoolers – these apps are all user friendly and offer read-aloud and games
Sing the Bible – Scripture memory is easiest for preschoolers when they sing them in songs- click to go to our scripture memory playlist on Spotify
Rooted Family – a great site with wonderful read-aloud books with activities. You may have a few of these books in your home and you can always order one or two as a fun prize in the mailbox
Minno Church at Home – a free resource that offers many choices to worship videos, a Bible story videos, and/or devotionals for your “church at home” experience. You can even download and print activity packs for your kids.